Skip to main content

A shopping day in Shinjuku

As midnight falls the last few trains servicing Shinjuku rattle outside our window, far below us. I am sad, always sad when the time comes to leave this place. It is so alien, so unlike Sydney. A simple room, small, whites, greys and dark wood contrasts with the neon extravaganza outside, the riot of crazy locals and their establishments. Guys with mad hair, girls dressed in anything ranging from gothic to cutesy, teetering on high heels.

Tokyo Skytree in the distance on the left
B has an appointment at the hairdressers this morning, but then they change it to midday due to a lack of English speakers. So we go in search of breakfast at a cafe. Most places are still closed, but we find a small underground cafe called Aaliyah's that advertised itself as having the best french toast in Tokyo. I have no reason to doubt them. It is the best french toast I've ever had, soft, sweet, milky, served with cream.

Alex fell asleep as B had her haircut. I wander around the local area with him asleep on my shoulder. He ate very little at the cafe, so when he awakes I take him down to a branch of the hamburger joint First Kitchen, whereupon he devours a caeser salad. His healthy eating habits often put us to shame.

When B emerges from the hairdressers we go in search of a real lunch on the other side of the train tracks at Omoide Yokocho, a narrow alleyway of bars in West Shinjuku beside the railway lines. There we eat udon and soba noodles from a little stall discovered on our first trip to Japan. I have tasted none finer.

I had hoped to see the new Tokyo Skytree tower, but it's by reservation only until next month and seems to require a Japanese credit card.

We want to visit a "local" department store rather than the expensive luxury offerings around Shinjuku. I think that I have found one at Asagaya, a few stops up the Chuo line.

After an abortive start where our train stops and reverses direction a couple of stations before Asagaya we finally arrive. I saw it out of the window the day before and was interested.

Seiyu is now owned by Walmart and is comparable to a  Big W or K-mart back in Australia. There were some cheap kids shirts and some of the Tomy Plarail was cheaper (only discovered after our earlier purchases), but there isn't much to interest us.

Alex falls asleep again as we wander through a shopping arcade, stopping to buy crackers. It's a lot of fun visiting one of these "local" areas.

Back in Shinjuku we walk through the station to the Odakyu department store. I've read that there is an outdoor play area on the roof. I am correct and Alex has a lot of fun on the plastic climbing frame and slides.

B and Alex return to the hotel, leaving me to shop for some electronics. There are many little parts for me to get, mostly related to my phone. I discover after hunting through Yodobashi Camera, Bic Camera and Labi that I'd better not lose my camera charger as getting a genuine replacement may be impossible.

What I really wanted to get were the all-in-one desktop computers. They still look nicer here.

Returning late to the hotel we go in search of Ibuki, where we are told that we can eat shabu-shabu. Unfortunately, they have shut down. Our quest for food (not any food, that is easy to find) eventually takes us back to West Shinjuku and a small noodle restaurant selling ramen and a special thick type of soba with a dipping sauce. It tastes pretty good and there's a nice homey feel to the place.

There is still time left to shop, so we go to the Seibu PePe centre attached to the hotel, buy items at Uniqlo and find the only grapefruit Gokuri drink I have seen this trip in Tokyo at the 100 yen shop. Then, with Alex pleading with us to return to the hotel room so he can play with his toys, we do.


Popular posts from this blog

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feeling

Ho Chi Minh to Hoi An

The easy way to get to Hoi An from Ho Chi Minh City is to fly to Danang then go via car for the final leg. Then there's my way. We had to wake at 5.30 am to get ready for a 6.15 departure from the hotel. A hotel car took us the few kilometres to the domestic terminal at the airport, where we checked into our Vietnam Airlines flight to the central Vietnam city of Hue. The airport was nothing flash, but it seemed functional. Alex had sandwiches (refused banh mi) for breakfast, then we went to the gate. Our blue Airbus A321 was parked at a remote stand, which necessitated a packed shuttle bus ride. It was nice to be aboard a full service airline again, even if the service was just a cup of water. We took off over the hazy skies of Ho Chi Minh City and for most of the smooth flight were cruising over a carpet of cloud. We descended over mountains poking their heads through the cloud, across lakes and paddy fields and over the beach. It was lovely scenery.

The sound of running water

We made it home from Osaka. There is a special feeling that comes when your arrive at your house after a holiday. It is utter relaxation. No longer do you need to worry about other language or customs. There is no need to look up directions, to plan out your day, to journey between sights. Then again, you now need to clean up your own mess, to make your own bed. Rather than eat out you need to cook your own dinner. The shower is weak and the toilet doesn't wash your bum. And you need to wake up early tomorrow morning in order to spend a day at work. You are back to your old routine. Looking back upon this holiday in Japan I've decided that the theme of running water has applied to each of the days. Sunday - Arrival in Osaka - washing ourselves Japanese style Monday - Matsuyama - water from the hot springs at Dogo Onsen Tuesday - Takamatsu - waterfall at Ritsuen-koen Wednesday - Tsumago - streams of water throughout the town Thursday - Takayama - the sounds of rushing water e