Skip to main content

Hirosaki is tops

There is much to see in the Tohoku region of Japan. I had multiple itineraries planned for today, all of which involved a lot of train travel, the differences being which lines we caught. But after the previous night I wasn't feeling so enthusiastic about a whole day on the rails.

I was looking over some options with B when she spotted my brochure on the Gono-sen line, a scenic route which winds its way around the northwestern coast of Honshu. Ever since seeing a picture on the wall of a JR ticket office in Tokyo I've wanted to go on the Gono line.

Next question, how to get there. Do we go north first or across to Akita?

First B does the washing using the hotel facilities (usually my job and it keeps me up very late), then we have a Japanese breakfast of miso soup, rice cakes, Japanese potato salad and (for a western touch) mini croissants.

I'm still dithering about the destination when we cross over the road to Morioka station. Eventually, we reserve seats up to Hirosaki in the north and then on to the Gono line to Akita.

Most of the view north of Morioka on the Shinkansen line is obscured, but early in the journey there are fantastic views of Mt Iwate, a two kilometre high volcano also visible out our hotel room window, and other mountains, many still with traces of snow.

The Shinkansen line ends at Shin-Aomori, itself a recent addition to the network. We then catch a local train to Hirosaki. It's mostly rice paddies and apple orchards out of the window, but as we approach our destination 1.6 kilometre high Mt Iwaki dominates the horizon.

We have less than two hours in Hirosaki before the Resort Shirakami train leaves for Akita, but I have a long list of places to see. We catch a loop bus through the city to the castle park. The park would look grand during cherry blossom season, but it is still pretty now. We walk under the now green canopies of the cherry trees, while Alex has convinced us to buy him an ice cream cone. It feels very peaceful here.

A small castle tower has been rebuilt, but we decide not to pay for entrance. Alex thinks we are going looking for a playground in the park as we try to convince him that there may not be one.

Suddenly, a playground appears. We are saved! Alex slithers down the hot metal slide, goes up and down on the old fashioned (and scary) seesaw and has a swing. The hot equipment makes it easy for us to get him to move along, as we are on a tight schedule.

I am disappointed to be missing out on many of the sights that I came to Hirosaki to see. B, hungry and cranky, is upset about spending the rest of the day on the train instead of getting out at all the stops and exploring under the sunny skies. We decide that we might as well forgo the Resort Shirakami and stay longer in Hirosaki. Thanks to my portable internet connection I can check the timetable for returning to Morioka.

The only food we can find in the area is at the Neputa Village. We eat some local dishes, one served sizzling in a big scallop shell and ginger pork for me. Alex likes the port and the cabbage salad that accompanies it.

The regional theme fruit is the apple and we go crazy buying apple related produce from the adjacent shop. Then we enter into the attraction I most wanted to see, the Neputa-mura, a museum devoted to the Neputa festival and local crafts.

The Neputa floats are huge paper lanterns that are dragged through the streets during a festival in August. Even in their stationary states they are very impressive and lend the Neputa hall a magical feel. The parade is accompanied by flutes and drums and I was given a turn hitting out a rhythm on a taiko. Then we were dragged quickly through the complex to listen to a shamisen performance.

We all sit transfixed as two musicians, one male, one female, pluck out rapid tunes on these stringed instruments.

Then we returned for a more leisurely look around. The museum has working crafts men and women making lacquerware, stitching patterns on cloth, painting lanterns and turning wood. This is the most interesting to observe.

Outside is a garden and fish pond where, for 100Y (~A$1.20), you can feed the koi, who writhe at the surface sucking in air and fish food with their great mouths.

The final section is a demonstration of wooden spinning tops, including one which hides other tops within and another that whistles loud sounds.

It is getting close to time to leave, so we catch another loop bus towards the station. Only it stops at a bus interchange. We decide to walk the rest of the way, but get delayed by a local department store.

While B hunts for Alex's clothes, the little fella makes a beeline for a play area at the back of the building. For 200 yen he gets 30 minutes of playtime on some wonderful indoor facilities, including chasing balloons, a shifting climbing frame and hamster wheel.

The kids clothes and shoes are really nice but cheap in these smaller department stores. Alex moved on to the next amusement area, which included some pretty sophisticated shop rides (in contrast to the shopping centre rides in Australia). I had to give him the 200 Yen. He was so happy.

There was so much more we could have shopped for him, but we only just made it to the train back to Shin-Aomori on time. From there we catch a nice new green Hayabusa Shinkansen back to Morioka. Alex sleeps almost the entire way. It's a pity he does because he would have loved the washbasin with its combination automatic soap and water dispensers and built in hand dryer. The toilet, lift and vending machine lover is back now that he is in Japan again.

We had a tonkatsu dinner under the station's department store, something simple and delicious. Then, for once, a relatively early night back at the hotel. Tomorrow we head off to Hokkaido, the northernmost of the major islands.


Popular posts from this blog

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feeling

Ho Chi Minh to Hoi An

The easy way to get to Hoi An from Ho Chi Minh City is to fly to Danang then go via car for the final leg. Then there's my way. We had to wake at 5.30 am to get ready for a 6.15 departure from the hotel. A hotel car took us the few kilometres to the domestic terminal at the airport, where we checked into our Vietnam Airlines flight to the central Vietnam city of Hue. The airport was nothing flash, but it seemed functional. Alex had sandwiches (refused banh mi) for breakfast, then we went to the gate. Our blue Airbus A321 was parked at a remote stand, which necessitated a packed shuttle bus ride. It was nice to be aboard a full service airline again, even if the service was just a cup of water. We took off over the hazy skies of Ho Chi Minh City and for most of the smooth flight were cruising over a carpet of cloud. We descended over mountains poking their heads through the cloud, across lakes and paddy fields and over the beach. It was lovely scenery.

The sound of running water

We made it home from Osaka. There is a special feeling that comes when your arrive at your house after a holiday. It is utter relaxation. No longer do you need to worry about other language or customs. There is no need to look up directions, to plan out your day, to journey between sights. Then again, you now need to clean up your own mess, to make your own bed. Rather than eat out you need to cook your own dinner. The shower is weak and the toilet doesn't wash your bum. And you need to wake up early tomorrow morning in order to spend a day at work. You are back to your old routine. Looking back upon this holiday in Japan I've decided that the theme of running water has applied to each of the days. Sunday - Arrival in Osaka - washing ourselves Japanese style Monday - Matsuyama - water from the hot springs at Dogo Onsen Tuesday - Takamatsu - waterfall at Ritsuen-koen Wednesday - Tsumago - streams of water throughout the town Thursday - Takayama - the sounds of rushing water e