Skip to main content

Tale of the Orange Sarubobo

Each morning the Takayama locals hold a couple morning markets alongside the river. While there are many tourist goods for sale, there are also farmers selling fresh vegetables and pickles from small stalls. It was from a shop alongside the Miyagawa market that I bought by little orange sarubobo doll.

The sarubobo was designed to be attached to a mobile phone. He had a little bell atop his head. I chose orange as it supposed to bring luck in travel.

From the markets we set off east and along the Higashiyama (East Mountain) walking course. The walk is away from the busy tourist oriented shops and up past numerous shrines and temples. It is calm and beautiful, with the white, brown and greens of the temples and their gardens.

The signposted walk also takes you into the quiet suburban streets of Takayama, past tiny rice paddy fields, market gardens and the houses of people who are obviously none too poor. You could tell by the fresh wooden construction of old style homes.

The path then goes up into Shiroyama Park, beneath a dense canopy of cypress pines and deciduous trees, circling around the ruins of Takayama Castle, though we saw little sign of its existence.

We must have turned off the path too early, because we found ourselves wandering through suburban Takayama. It wasn't until we had crossed the Miyagawa river and saw the train line that we realised that we were walking in the wrong direction. It's partly the fault of the Hotel Alpha-1. How was I to know that there were two of them!

By the time that we had walked back to the centre of Takayama it was too late for me to catch a train up to Inotani and back in order to admire the scenery along the route. So much for luck in travel!

We ate some more hida beef for lunch, grilling it at our table over a gas cooker. Then we collected our bags from the hotel and walked back to the train station for our ride back to Nagoya, and then onwards to Osaka.

I was sitting in the train in between photographing the scenery outside (the light was so much better today) when I noticed orange sarubobo missing from where I had hung him on my bag's zipper. His cord was still attached, but no sarubobo! Obviously he had decided to seek his own luck in travels.

We tried to catch JR all the way from Shin-Osaka, the Shinkansen stop, and Namba, where our hotel is located. But we gave up due to the number of changes required, especially when the platforms were so crowded with rush-hour commuters. Finally reverting to the subway, we made it to our hotel, the Il Cuore. It looks very cool inside, but isn't anywhere as nice as the Cross Hotel in Osaka. I'm glad I booked us in for one night at the latter at the start of our journey, if just for the Japanese bathroom.

So no travel luck with an orange sarobobo, it's Friday the 13th and our room number is 404, an unlucky number for the Chinese!

I'm feeling depressed that this is our last stop. I'm having so much fun on this trip!


Popular posts from this blog

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feeling

The sound of running water

We made it home from Osaka. There is a special feeling that comes when your arrive at your house after a holiday. It is utter relaxation. No longer do you need to worry about other language or customs. There is no need to look up directions, to plan out your day, to journey between sights. Then again, you now need to clean up your own mess, to make your own bed. Rather than eat out you need to cook your own dinner. The shower is weak and the toilet doesn't wash your bum. And you need to wake up early tomorrow morning in order to spend a day at work. You are back to your old routine. Looking back upon this holiday in Japan I've decided that the theme of running water has applied to each of the days. Sunday - Arrival in Osaka - washing ourselves Japanese style Monday - Matsuyama - water from the hot springs at Dogo Onsen Tuesday - Takamatsu - waterfall at Ritsuen-koen Wednesday - Tsumago - streams of water throughout the town Thursday - Takayama - the sounds of rushing water e

Insanity at 40,000 feet - Part 2

We could relax for a moment. The gate lounges at Kuala Lumpur's LCCT were crowded, but our gate was not yet open. Once it was we quickly made out way outside for the long walk to the aircraft. The terminal offered no air conditioned respite from the tropical weather outside and we were perspiring on both sides of the gate. It's a pity that taking photos on the tarmac is forbidden, because the tropical evening sun cast a beautiful orange-gold light. Our flight to Singapore was on an AirAsia A320, the workhorse of a low cost carrier. The legroom was shorter, but still adequate and the width felt greater than their longer cousin we had just flown. Alex sat at the window and was excited to see the world outside, chattering loudly. Captain Raj gave a detailed, but clear, explanation of the flight, listing runways and routes like an aircraft enthusiast. We launched into hazy grey skies that were soon dark for a very typical hour long flight to Singapore.