Skip to main content

Last chance

Right now my Mother is somewhere in Europe on her very first trip overseas. Tomorrow B's Mum will fly off to China on a tour of that country's portion of the Silk Road. And on Sunday... we are off to Japan again.

I guess it demonstrates that international travel is possible after children! Actually, I never doubted that it was possible. But things will change with the addition of a new member to our household, that is certain.

As the high pressure system hovered over Australia, keeping the skies clear and blue, I was feeling the pressure of work and life. I stared up into those skies and dreamed of escape. I built a miniature Japan in my study in the form of a model railway. But I wanted the real thing. The Jetstar birthday sales arrived and I struggled to resist. B, in the early weeks of pregnancy, didn't want to travel, afraid, though there is little risk, of losing that which we had tried so long for.

It just felt like the right time to travel, to fly off into those stable, clear skies and follow the aircraft I watched on my daily walks. I was tempted to go off to Japan by myself for a week, to give myself time to think about life in a land whose people value simplicity and elegance, clarity in form. Late one afternoon, my mind filled with conflict, unable to focus, I stopped at Sydney's International Terminal to watch the planes take-off, to see others embark on adventures. There, for the first time, I saw the Singapore Airlines A380 lift ponderously into the pale and dusty western skies.

I could imagine myself ensconced inside the aircraft, watching the golden evening light fade away across the red Australian landscape, escaping to another part of the world. Imagined myself buying a ticket right there, though I had nothing but the contents of my work daypack with me. Imagined trying to buy enough supplies from the airport shops to keep me going in a country whether most clothes are too small. It would be fun.

Not as much fun as travelling with B. So I quelled by desires and went home. The next week we had our first sight (by sound!) of a seemingly healthy fetus. It was exciting and wonderful to be able to share our joy with the rest of the world. The riskiest time was over, for the next few months at least, and now we could relax a bit more.

We had planned to go down to Melbourne for a short break. The Jetstar international birthday sale had ended, prices were back to normal. I caught the train to work as normal, but happened to glance across to someone reading a newspaper. Down at the bottom of the page was an advert for a Jetstar sale. I resolved to check it out at work.

Jetstar on sale to Osaka. For trips beginning a week later until sometime in July! I called up B, she asked her boss. A credit card payment later and we were booked for a week's holiday in Japan.

An aside now. Why so excited about Jetstar? I'm not really. I would much rather fly a full service airline again. It's just that their prices are cheap enough and they are one of three airlines in Australia that fly direct to Japan. I still hope we can have a "full service" adventure to Europe when our child is a few months old and B is on maternity leave. But that is in the future.

This will be our sixth trip to Japan, but already I can find more things to see and do than we have time for. I want to visit Matsuyama and see Dogo Onsen, upon which Spirited Away's bathhouse is modelled on. It was watching Spirited Away again that triggered the desperate urge to visit Japan again. There is also the Kiso Valley. When we went to visit the travel agent to purchase our Japan Rail passes there was a big poster of Tsumago, a historically preserved town in the Valley, behind him. It looks so wonderful! So many sights to see!

Now, I always seem to get sick before visiting Japan and guess what happened today? I was off sick. Damnit! But it did mean that I could spend time with Kita, our dog, before he has to have his own vacation at the relatives. I'm always sad to leave him behind. And the sky finally cleared late in the afternoon after a week of rain, so I could see the aircraft fly overhead and put myself into the delicious travel mood of the weeks before. We are off to Japan!


Popular posts from this blog

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feeling

Ho Chi Minh to Hoi An

The easy way to get to Hoi An from Ho Chi Minh City is to fly to Danang then go via car for the final leg. Then there's my way. We had to wake at 5.30 am to get ready for a 6.15 departure from the hotel. A hotel car took us the few kilometres to the domestic terminal at the airport, where we checked into our Vietnam Airlines flight to the central Vietnam city of Hue. The airport was nothing flash, but it seemed functional. Alex had sandwiches (refused banh mi) for breakfast, then we went to the gate. Our blue Airbus A321 was parked at a remote stand, which necessitated a packed shuttle bus ride. It was nice to be aboard a full service airline again, even if the service was just a cup of water. We took off over the hazy skies of Ho Chi Minh City and for most of the smooth flight were cruising over a carpet of cloud. We descended over mountains poking their heads through the cloud, across lakes and paddy fields and over the beach. It was lovely scenery.

The sound of running water

We made it home from Osaka. There is a special feeling that comes when your arrive at your house after a holiday. It is utter relaxation. No longer do you need to worry about other language or customs. There is no need to look up directions, to plan out your day, to journey between sights. Then again, you now need to clean up your own mess, to make your own bed. Rather than eat out you need to cook your own dinner. The shower is weak and the toilet doesn't wash your bum. And you need to wake up early tomorrow morning in order to spend a day at work. You are back to your old routine. Looking back upon this holiday in Japan I've decided that the theme of running water has applied to each of the days. Sunday - Arrival in Osaka - washing ourselves Japanese style Monday - Matsuyama - water from the hot springs at Dogo Onsen Tuesday - Takamatsu - waterfall at Ritsuen-koen Wednesday - Tsumago - streams of water throughout the town Thursday - Takayama - the sounds of rushing water e