Skip to main content

Shopping in Osaka

Just watching BBC World News as live scorpions are being deep fried in a Beijing market. Now it's pork in steamed egg in a Chinese take-away. Brings back memories, but I know which country I prefer right now as a tourist. Yes, it's Japan. And I don't want to leave.

[How do you eat duck heads? You open up the mouth and suck out the brains.]

Still on the subject of news, we woke up this morning to see a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in Iwate province flashed all over the Japanese news. Down here in Osaka we didn't feel a thing, but the pictures of roads demolished by landslides are quite astounding. Unfortunately they are currently listing 6 people dead and about 100 injured. Scary.

The earthquake replaced the other big news which has dominated the television news since we arrived: the Akihabara knife-wielding murderer.

Fortunately, there was nothing so dramatic to report about our adventures today. All we did was shop. And shop. And Eat. And shop. From the shops along the Shinsaibashi covered arcade we caught the train up to Umeda. There we waited in a long queue to dine at an Okonomiyaki restaurant.

Okonomiyaki is a patty shredded cabbage, meat and egg cooked in front of you. [Yaks' penis. He split it in half. It just moved. I'm not trying. No way! Back to Okonomiyaki] It's then covered with mayonnaise and a sweet teriyaki sauce. It's a local speciality of Osaka and it's good!

After lunch we shopped for clothing (cute baby clothes!) and explored my favourite electronics chain: Yodobashi Camera. Oooh, such beautiful computers!

Back to Shinsaibashi station. More clothes, and the wonderful Tokyu Hands. We were in search of dog-related items, specifically a pooper-scooper. Surely, the Japanese would have a really cool version.

All we found was a scoop designed to be held at the dog's rear while it is doing the business. Right. Don't think that's going to work on Kita.

After dinner, we dropped off our heavy load at the hotel, then walked down to Den-Den town. Most of the shops were closing at 8pm. We made it to Joshin Super Kids "toy shop" (Super Kids must be a euphamism for big boys, like me). Unfortunately, they had run out of some of the model railway parts I need. I did pass a closed model railway shop on the way, so I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Tower Records was still open. Limited edition John Williams soundtracks. Yay!

Last full night in Japan. I'm sad.


Popular posts from this blog

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feeling

The sound of running water

We made it home from Osaka. There is a special feeling that comes when your arrive at your house after a holiday. It is utter relaxation. No longer do you need to worry about other language or customs. There is no need to look up directions, to plan out your day, to journey between sights. Then again, you now need to clean up your own mess, to make your own bed. Rather than eat out you need to cook your own dinner. The shower is weak and the toilet doesn't wash your bum. And you need to wake up early tomorrow morning in order to spend a day at work. You are back to your old routine. Looking back upon this holiday in Japan I've decided that the theme of running water has applied to each of the days. Sunday - Arrival in Osaka - washing ourselves Japanese style Monday - Matsuyama - water from the hot springs at Dogo Onsen Tuesday - Takamatsu - waterfall at Ritsuen-koen Wednesday - Tsumago - streams of water throughout the town Thursday - Takayama - the sounds of rushing water e

Insanity at 40,000 feet - Part 2

We could relax for a moment. The gate lounges at Kuala Lumpur's LCCT were crowded, but our gate was not yet open. Once it was we quickly made out way outside for the long walk to the aircraft. The terminal offered no air conditioned respite from the tropical weather outside and we were perspiring on both sides of the gate. It's a pity that taking photos on the tarmac is forbidden, because the tropical evening sun cast a beautiful orange-gold light. Our flight to Singapore was on an AirAsia A320, the workhorse of a low cost carrier. The legroom was shorter, but still adequate and the width felt greater than their longer cousin we had just flown. Alex sat at the window and was excited to see the world outside, chattering loudly. Captain Raj gave a detailed, but clear, explanation of the flight, listing runways and routes like an aircraft enthusiast. We launched into hazy grey skies that were soon dark for a very typical hour long flight to Singapore.