Skip to main content

Homeward bound

I really wish that Tokyo Teleport was real with access to Sydney. For a supposed aircraft lover I get awfully anxious and tired of long overnight flights.

It's always the same on the final day. Shop until you are overloaded. Catch the train to the airport. Fly off home. After reserving seats on the Narita Express for the late afternoon we caught the Saikyo/Rinkai Line to Oimachi to shop for some items at the Ito Yokado department store (kind of like a Big W).

We returned to Shinjuku to eat at Tokatsu Wako, located in the Subnade underground shopping street near our hotel. Then more shopping (H&M, Muji) before hurrying back to the hotel where I collected the luggage and B and Alex at a last meal at Sakura Sushi opposite.

The hour long journey on the Narita Express is always a nice way to relax before or after a flight. I'd had a bad night before and was again feeling apprehensive about the upcoming flight home.

At Narita Airport we got our two zaisu (floor chairs) wrapped together with clingwrap to enable them to be checked in. We had begun the journey with a single checked bag weighing 13 kg, it now weighed 23 kg and was accompanied by another two pieces.

After checking in, the queues being short, we passed through security and immigration. The automated trains to the satellite gates had been replaced by moving walkways, a sensible move in my opinion. Our Qantas 747-400, Wunala, was once colourfully decorated with an Aboriginal motif, but was now your standard Qantas livery with some Socceroos World Cup campaign decals.

The Qantas Lounge was a lot smaller than Sydney's and quite busy. Food options were also more limited and often seemed to disappear. Corn soup, a non-authentic green curry, mini pizza slices and others. I wasn't very hungry, my stomach was again churning.

While I used the shower facilities Alex discovered a paint program on the Macs, there being no kids area. The others showered, then it was time to board.

Again it was a reconfigured interior. The screens now seem a bit disappointing, seemingly low resolution due to the presence of a vertical touch grating. It wasn't very sensitive either. But the seats themselves were comfortable.

I spent most of the flight anticipating a sudden bout of turbulence that never eventuated. A few little shakes here and there, but for the most part a reasonably smooth flight, much to my satisfaction. I didn't bother with the offered dinners, though both B and Alex had them and they looked okay. Instead I watched two movies: the Japanese Eternal Zero and Lincoln. Listening to a Japanese movie seemed so natural after the past week.

Alex initially struggled to sleep, crying that he missed Japan. Even B agreed that we had to go back. I slept maybe half an hour in total, probably less.

The Sun had only just risen as we looped around to land into Sydney Airport from the south. It is possibly the most beautiful that I have seen it, the land and sea tinged a morning pink.

I'd barely slept, but it was a pretty good flight. I still wish they had a teleport.


Popular posts from this blog

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feeling

The sound of running water

We made it home from Osaka. There is a special feeling that comes when your arrive at your house after a holiday. It is utter relaxation. No longer do you need to worry about other language or customs. There is no need to look up directions, to plan out your day, to journey between sights. Then again, you now need to clean up your own mess, to make your own bed. Rather than eat out you need to cook your own dinner. The shower is weak and the toilet doesn't wash your bum. And you need to wake up early tomorrow morning in order to spend a day at work. You are back to your old routine. Looking back upon this holiday in Japan I've decided that the theme of running water has applied to each of the days. Sunday - Arrival in Osaka - washing ourselves Japanese style Monday - Matsuyama - water from the hot springs at Dogo Onsen Tuesday - Takamatsu - waterfall at Ritsuen-koen Wednesday - Tsumago - streams of water throughout the town Thursday - Takayama - the sounds of rushing water e

Insanity at 40,000 feet - Part 2

We could relax for a moment. The gate lounges at Kuala Lumpur's LCCT were crowded, but our gate was not yet open. Once it was we quickly made out way outside for the long walk to the aircraft. The terminal offered no air conditioned respite from the tropical weather outside and we were perspiring on both sides of the gate. It's a pity that taking photos on the tarmac is forbidden, because the tropical evening sun cast a beautiful orange-gold light. Our flight to Singapore was on an AirAsia A320, the workhorse of a low cost carrier. The legroom was shorter, but still adequate and the width felt greater than their longer cousin we had just flown. Alex sat at the window and was excited to see the world outside, chattering loudly. Captain Raj gave a detailed, but clear, explanation of the flight, listing runways and routes like an aircraft enthusiast. We launched into hazy grey skies that were soon dark for a very typical hour long flight to Singapore.