Skip to main content

The day gets shorter

Our stay in Amsterdam was far too brief. After a quick breakfast in the railway saloon inspired eating area decorated with a wide variety of railway paraphenalia we were soon heading out into the chilly Amsterdam air. Over the road was the ornate Amsterdam Centraal railway station and we jumped on to the double decked yellow and blue train to Schipol Airport.

I really like Schipol. It's no wonder that it is consistently rated one of the world's top airports. There's a good range of reasonable shopping and most of it seems accessible. Collecting our tax refund proved to be difficult as, due to a systems failure, I had to walk across the single open teller at the opposite side of the terminal. Alex discovered a yellow balloon lying on the floor and took possession of it.

At the gate I was surprised and a little disappointed to see our old friend "Penang", the same 747 that had carried us all the way to Europe. Alex sadly had to give up the balloon while B and I passed through the new L3 terahertz scanners. The flight was only half full and we were told we could move into the empty overwing rows after take-off. Alex soon fell fast asleep.

The take-off itself was stunning, with brilliant views of canals and the cargo ships that traverse the major routes.

Over Germany the views below disappeared to be replaced by a carpet of cloud, with us soaring high above in the afternoon light. This was flying at its best.

We were served a hungrily appreciated lunch. I had spied our meal options while seated opposite the galley. Beef and mushrooms or chicken korma. B and Alex had the former, me naturally the latter. Both seemed quite good.
As we were flying west the day receeded at a fast pace and soon it was sunset. Below us it looked like fields of snow in the old Soviet territory.

I was very tired, but was disturbed as I drifted off and that was it, I couldn't sleep on the flight. As Alex slept soundly beside me and B took up a centre row I was left to entertain myself in the dark. I watched "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" on the dreadful little screen. Enjoyed the movie, but not the awful Malaysian editing of gory bits. Watched a little of the 1968 original "Planet of the Apes" as Charlton Heston smokes a cigar on a spaceship... yeah right.
Passing through Central Asia there were some brilliantly lit amber and white cities in Turkmenstan, then almost nothing as we flew over Afghanistan. As the black fields of the Indus had broken up the desert during the day, so did the lights around it at night. Then nothing again until India.
Sometime in the night we were given a snack pack of peanuts, biscuits, chocolate and cheese. Alex woke and devoured peanuts and juice. He was in a happy mood and very sweet for most of the remainder of the flight.
With two hours left of flight time the lights were switched on again and we were served a breakfast of spicy nasi lemak or mushroom omelette.
The sky was just showing the first hints of dawn as we cruised into Kuala Lumpur with a touchdown so light that B did not realise that we were on the ground. We had arrived.


Popular posts from this blog

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feeling

Insanity at 40,000 feet - Part 2

We could relax for a moment. The gate lounges at Kuala Lumpur's LCCT were crowded, but our gate was not yet open. Once it was we quickly made out way outside for the long walk to the aircraft. The terminal offered no air conditioned respite from the tropical weather outside and we were perspiring on both sides of the gate. It's a pity that taking photos on the tarmac is forbidden, because the tropical evening sun cast a beautiful orange-gold light. Our flight to Singapore was on an AirAsia A320, the workhorse of a low cost carrier. The legroom was shorter, but still adequate and the width felt greater than their longer cousin we had just flown. Alex sat at the window and was excited to see the world outside, chattering loudly. Captain Raj gave a detailed, but clear, explanation of the flight, listing runways and routes like an aircraft enthusiast. We launched into hazy grey skies that were soon dark for a very typical hour long flight to Singapore.

The sound of running water

We made it home from Osaka. There is a special feeling that comes when your arrive at your house after a holiday. It is utter relaxation. No longer do you need to worry about other language or customs. There is no need to look up directions, to plan out your day, to journey between sights. Then again, you now need to clean up your own mess, to make your own bed. Rather than eat out you need to cook your own dinner. The shower is weak and the toilet doesn't wash your bum. And you need to wake up early tomorrow morning in order to spend a day at work. You are back to your old routine. Looking back upon this holiday in Japan I've decided that the theme of running water has applied to each of the days. Sunday - Arrival in Osaka - washing ourselves Japanese style Monday - Matsuyama - water from the hot springs at Dogo Onsen Tuesday - Takamatsu - waterfall at Ritsuen-koen Wednesday - Tsumago - streams of water throughout the town Thursday - Takayama - the sounds of rushing water e