Skip to main content

Castles and night moves

I began writing this lying in the top bunk of a train from Amsterdam to Prague.
There was a bit of Australianess in our time in Ghent. Apart from the Australian Ice Cream shop (funny how most of our ice cream shop advertise other countries like New Zealand or Copenhagen), there was Julia Gillard and Bob Brown on the morning news, announcing the passing of the carbon tax.

During lunch we heard a couple of Savage Garden tracks over the restaurant's sound system. Two young American females seated next to us were trying to pick the group, resorting to Wikipedia. "They perform?" they asked.
I had to make a morning hunt for bakery breakfast food while Alex had a second sleep. It was cold and grey outside, but these are colours that suit Ghent's impressive but sometimes dour architecture.

When we were all awake and ready we checked out of the hotel to explore the town. Our first destination, across pretty canals, was Het Gravensteen, the castle of the Counts. We paid the entrance fee and joined the groups of school kids on excursion through this rebuilt castle.

Like the very different Japanese castles Alex climbed all the many steps himself, up the winding stone staircases in the turrets. One of the first stops was a hall of armour and weapons, impressive suits and swords (including a huge executioner's blade), crossbows and halberds.

As we left a group of younger kids filed in and Alex wanted to play with them. Sad that he has no other friends around at the moment.
From the top of the castle there are stunning views of Ghent. These alone were worth the price of admission. A weak sun was visible through the clouds casting a beautiful light over the towers and steeples of the town.

Back down in the castle, which was once a prison, items related to torture and execution equipment was on display. The barbarity of our forebears is astonishing, with a guillotine, swords and knives for the removal of the head and limbs, thumbscrews and hammers to smash fingers, spiked wheels and many more. Plus a waterboarding display, but apparently that's not too barbaric according to the US government.

Then there is the once altar, then location for stringing the prisoner up so that after a few hours he would kill himself on the iron necklace by his exhausted movement, signs pointing out the hooks in the walls.

Outside of the towers it is again peaceful. Alex was excited to see the toilets in the walls, simply holes open to the ground below. No buttons to flush and hand dryers here!

After completing the castle we walked to the Vridjmarkt, once a market square, and had hot chips and a fried cheese croquet from the famous Fritz Josef stall, seated in front of the massive Socialist Workers' building.

Then a hunt for more food, a lunch of mussels (for B of course), rabbit (for me) and meat stew (for Alex) at T'Stropke, after which we were too full to eat anything but a compulsory waffle at Ghent's station. We finally acceeded to Alex's nagging to catch another tram (we had to), lugging our bags back to the station.
There we validated our rail pass and hopped on the next train to Antwerp, where we changed to another train to Amsterdam.

At Amsterdam's giant Centraal station we bought sandwiches for dinner, too full from lunch to contemplate much more, then waited for our train to arrive for boarding. Finally the train to Prague arrived, mere minutes before the departure time, despite this being the originating station.
Our deluxe sleeping compartment was a masterpiece in compactness. There was a toilet and shower squeezed in, yet still roomy enough to use, a bunk bed that was configured for two, but could have three levels, plenty of luggage space under the ceiling (though lifting the bags up was a challenge). There was even a power socket for the laptop.

Bottles of fizzy mineral water and basic toiletries (towels, dual use shampoo and body wash and cups of clean water) had been provided. We managed to each use the shower, which was, if anything, too hot - it was large enough for me to bathe Alex even with the door closed.
Despite my fantasies of lying on the bottom bunk snuggled up to Alex while watching the world unfold outside the window I was forced up above, where there was no view, by B's motion sickness. I had no such issues and found the rocking motion very relaxing.
So despite the constant stream of French SMS message streaming to my phone I managed to fall into a sleep as good as any I have had in the last few days.


Popular posts from this blog

Ho Chi Minh to Hoi An

The easy way to get to Hoi An from Ho Chi Minh City is to fly to Danang then go via car for the final leg. Then there's my way. We had to wake at 5.30 am to get ready for a 6.15 departure from the hotel. A hotel car took us the few kilometres to the domestic terminal at the airport, where we checked into our Vietnam Airlines flight to the central Vietnam city of Hue. The airport was nothing flash, but it seemed functional. Alex had sandwiches (refused banh mi) for breakfast, then we went to the gate. Our blue Airbus A321 was parked at a remote stand, which necessitated a packed shuttle bus ride. It was nice to be aboard a full service airline again, even if the service was just a cup of water. We took off over the hazy skies of Ho Chi Minh City and for most of the smooth flight were cruising over a carpet of cloud. We descended over mountains poking their heads through the cloud, across lakes and paddy fields and over the beach. It was lovely scenery.

The Carlingford Line

We close the year and the decade with a local adventure to mark the closure of a railway line. On the January 5, 2020, the Carlingford Line from Clyde will close to be partially replaced by the Parramatta Light Rail. This is Sydney's quietest line, a single track branch for most of its length from the industrial centre of Clyde to the northwestern suburb of Carlingford. According to Wikipedia, power supply and signalling issues mean that only a single four car train can utilise the line at a time. Newer Sydney trains run in fixed eight car configurations. This will be the first and last time I traverse the Carlingford Line in its current configuration. The weather of the day is certainly appropriate for an ending, the brown smoke haze lending an apocalyptic air to proceedings. I drive to Padstow and catch the T8 line to Central, followed by the T1 towards Parramatta and Penrith. The historic homes of the Inner West give way to industrial complexes, rail storage yards and t

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feelings,