Skip to main content

Breakwaters, beaches and the Big Banana

Sleeping in. What is it? Does it exist? I'm no longer certain any more.

Anybody for hot cross buns (microwaved, of course)?

No, we want to go out.

So we drive down to the marina, which is already busy with swimmers and runners, walkers and posers. I guess we are among the second pair as we stroll out on to the long wooden jetty, snapping photos as we go.

A couple of fisherman throw lines out. Do they catch anything, or is that just bait on the hook? I don't know.

Others swim in the rolling waves, under a warm autumn sun. As with yesterday, massive clumps of cloud are rolling in, threatening rain. A heavy downpour woke us up in the middle of last night.

It's peaceful on the jetty, the gentle swoosh of the waves, the breeze rustling our hair.

On the unprotected side of the breakwater the waves are heavier, spray launching itself over the rock barrier. Our stomachs are desperately calling for breakfast. Salvation comes in the form of a small burger bar opposite the yet to open fish market.

After a burger brunch we have enough energy to continue along the breakwater towards Solitary Island. We feel we are racing the dark grey cloud mass approaching with a curtain of rain.

The path up the bare island hillock, it's sides pockmarked with mutton bird burrows, is very steep. At the top is a lookout with views out to sea, across the town and beyond to the mountains, south past the airport. It's beautiful and well worth the effort of the climb.

The sun still shimmers off patches of sea, but already we can feel the spit of rain drops. As we return hurriedly down the slope the rain increases. There is a shelter at the base where we wait until the shower lessens.

This time we walk back along the marina boardwalk behind the breakwater. In the calm waters below we spot many species of fish gliding past, a stingray and a shy octopus returning to its rock hideout.

B and I want to visit the dolphin conservation centre, but Alex only wants the Big Banana fun park. We acquiesce.

The Big Banana is Coffs Harbour's best known sight. On my sole previous visit to Coffs more than thirty years ago it was just a big banana statue outside of a banana farm, or at least that's how I remember it.

Now there are a variety of attractions, including a water park, toboggan sled ride, giant slide, ice skating rink and more.

The car park is already crowded when we arrive. Initially we begin lining up at the main ticket office, we realise that our desire is limited to B and Alex on the toboggan and Alex at the water park and that there's no discount to be had.

The queue at the toboggan is incredibly long, almost an hour. And when they finally get their ride it is done at a crawl due to the overly cautious lady and child ahead of them, spoiling all the fun.

It was yesterday's traffic jam all over again.

B on sells her ticket to the next ride, unwilling to suffer the queue again.

There are pauses too, as a couple of showers shut the ride down temporarily.

There is only 45 minutes left in the current session at the water park, but the attendant sells us the ticket for half price and we figure that's all we can stand waiting for Alex.

Over and over again on the same open slide, not the Super fast one, not the tunnel or the inflatable ride. But he enjoys it, and that is all that matters.

Before we leave, we need to get photos at the Big Banana itself.

Then we are free!

I want to get Alex some craft materials to amuse him in the hotel evenings. We cross the busy Pacific Highway to the Park Beach Shopping Plaza and end up eating lunch at the Chinese run Shinobi Sushi. It wasn't great, but Alex ends up costing us a lost as he keeps eating more and more sushi.

Further along is Park Beach itself. The scattered cloud and golden afternoon light shimmers off the flat expanse of wet sand. In the background is the constant pulsating roar of crashing waves.

It's beautiful out here. This is more my kind of thing than theme parks.

Scattered stones are polished flat, perfect for skimming of only the ocean will behave. A Virgin Australia 737-800 roars overhead on descent into Coffs Harbour airport. I almost wish that we'd flown here. The view from above would be great.

Eventually we walk back to the car, take a drive into the city centre. It's too early for dinner, but most of the shops are closed. K-mart is still open in the attractive shopping centre.

We buy Alex a very cheap art pack. Something to do in the evening.

Food has been expensive so far and we are tired. So we buy microwave dinners from Woolies to heat up back at the motel, microwaves being the sole cooking tool available.

It feels wrong not to have a seafood meal at this fishing town, but I suspect everyone else is fished out this Easter.

Perhaps tomorrow, as we head up the coast.


Popular posts from this blog

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feeling

The sound of running water

We made it home from Osaka. There is a special feeling that comes when your arrive at your house after a holiday. It is utter relaxation. No longer do you need to worry about other language or customs. There is no need to look up directions, to plan out your day, to journey between sights. Then again, you now need to clean up your own mess, to make your own bed. Rather than eat out you need to cook your own dinner. The shower is weak and the toilet doesn't wash your bum. And you need to wake up early tomorrow morning in order to spend a day at work. You are back to your old routine. Looking back upon this holiday in Japan I've decided that the theme of running water has applied to each of the days. Sunday - Arrival in Osaka - washing ourselves Japanese style Monday - Matsuyama - water from the hot springs at Dogo Onsen Tuesday - Takamatsu - waterfall at Ritsuen-koen Wednesday - Tsumago - streams of water throughout the town Thursday - Takayama - the sounds of rushing water e

Insanity at 40,000 feet - Part 2

We could relax for a moment. The gate lounges at Kuala Lumpur's LCCT were crowded, but our gate was not yet open. Once it was we quickly made out way outside for the long walk to the aircraft. The terminal offered no air conditioned respite from the tropical weather outside and we were perspiring on both sides of the gate. It's a pity that taking photos on the tarmac is forbidden, because the tropical evening sun cast a beautiful orange-gold light. Our flight to Singapore was on an AirAsia A320, the workhorse of a low cost carrier. The legroom was shorter, but still adequate and the width felt greater than their longer cousin we had just flown. Alex sat at the window and was excited to see the world outside, chattering loudly. Captain Raj gave a detailed, but clear, explanation of the flight, listing runways and routes like an aircraft enthusiast. We launched into hazy grey skies that were soon dark for a very typical hour long flight to Singapore.