Skip to main content

Return to KL

Remember how terrified I was a few days ago of flying through storms that never eventuated. Well today I started confidently on the slightly longer flight back from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur and...

We checked out early and without breakfast, catching the MRT all the way from Tanjong Pagar to Changi Airport with a change at Tanah Meras. We bought a half cake of cranberry kuih lapis from Bengawan Solo then went straight through immigration and to the gate with only a short stop to pick up a sushi and kaya toast breakfast each for Alex and B.

Due to congestion at Changi and on the busy Singapore to Kuala Lumpur route our flight was somewhat delayedbut we took off into bright skies with only a few minor bumps.

We had actually passed over the top of KLIA with only small scattered clouds when our descent took us into some much bigger tropical puffballs. The young girls behind us screamed as we rose and descended in quick fashion as we passed through each cloud. My nightmare had come true.

It was with great relief that we descended below the clouds and on to KLIA2's new runway. It was a long taxi under the bridge of the new terminal. There were even speed humps, or at least ground turbulence.

Another long walk back to immigration at this somewhat disappointing new structure, then on to the train to KL.

Our hotel, the Hilton, is adjacent to the airport train's terminus at Sentral Station. We chose it for its convenience and swimming pool. Had we known that we would be here an extra day then we would probably rather have returned to the Parkroyal, where there is more food nearby.

By now we were starving so we caught a late running KTM train to Mid Valley Mall. Despite the newness of the train mainy windows showed signs of objects smashing into the from the outside.

At Mid Valley are a few branches of restaurants we like, such as Ipoh Chicken Rice and Original Penang Kayu, where we at some roti canai.

When we returned to the hotel Mother-in-law and friend had arrived and were resting in their room. B, Alex and I went down to swim in the pool, which has a waterslide and waterfall.

Then we crammed into a taxi to Pudu's Wai Sek Kai, or food street. Little food stalls sold a variety of dishes. We ordered char kuey teoh with salted egg, rojak, egg custard and others. The best thing about it was the atmosphere. Malaysian food needs to be bought from a tiny stall and eaten out in the open.

Alex was tired, so afterwards we piled into another taxi and returned back to the hotel for a big bath, complete with a mini television!



Popular posts from this blog

One night in Canberra

It's the April school holidays and we are too busy to have a break but need one because of that. And because it's the Easter weekend the options are limited, so we just drive down to Canberra for the night. No, this isn't our first trip for 2023. I wrote about Japan on another site .  I refuse to wake up early so we depart after 8.30 AM. There is not much to say about the drive except that the clouds seem so low and Lake George is very full. We stop at a rest area and at the lookout up the hill to take it all in. Everyone is hungry so we first stop in Dickson and then can't think of anything to eat, so I drive us to Civic, where we can't decide and end up eating at the Singaporean Killiney Kopitiam branch.  The Canberra Centre has nice shops. I dream of getting an iPad from the Apple Store, we buy a blanket and toothbrushes from Muji and wish that Lego wasn't so expensive. Nothing we can't get in Sydney, but then we rarely go out shopping in the city. It'

A selection of jams

We're home now. The last two days of our Brisbane trip involved a lot of driving but not always much movement. On Wednesday we arranged to met Sis and her family at Robina Town Centre, a massive shopping mall. That meant a drive down towards the Gold Coast along the same motorway we'd driven up along. What should have taken an hour took twice that due to the holiday traffic along the 3 and 4 lane road. Lots of people taking the turn-offs to three of the "Worlds" (Wet'n'Wild, Movie World and Dreamworld).  The Town Centre hosts Artvo , a trick photography gallery where you use perspectives to make subjects look like they are part of the artwork. It was surprisingly fun, despite the aversion of we males to being the subjects of photos. Afterwards we had a long chat over lunch, which was sourced from a variety of eateries. I had roti and chicken curry from Roti and Buns . Passable, though the curry was more laksa like. We later took Sis to Daiso and she and her h

Boxing Day in Brisbane

No post Christmas recovery for us. We walk up to Queen Street Mall again in search of breakfast. The Boxing Day sale crowds were building as the shops began to open. Brisbane's city centre feels large and impressive, but also a bit like some of the more modern parts of Singapore. The tropical heat and humidity certainly assists with that impression. The others eat McDonalds for breakfast, I had a slice of Christmas cake in the hotel. We buy some clothes from Uniqlo, browse a few other stores, hunt for a Malaysian cafe that turns out to be too fried to eat now. After more shopping and wandering it is now vaguely lunch time, so we try Roti Place. The roti is crispy and sweet, the curry salty, the har mee spicy, the Hainanese chicken okay. My favourite is the oatmeal chicken. On the way back to the hotel we stop by bookstores looking for the next book in a series for Alex. On the third try we locate a single copy. It's back to the hotel room for an afternoo