Skip to main content

Rusty Waters and Terrific Toys

When demanding to return to Japan Alex insisted on onsens. The Kansai area is not particularly well known for its onsens, but I did find that one of Japan's most ancient onsens does lie close by at Arima, just over the mountains from Kobe and that it has retained a reputation as a well preserved town, as opposed to some overdeveloped concrete onsen resorts.

Even better was that we could get there via a cable car (funicular) and ropeway (what we often call a cable car). Back to Umeda to catch the Hankyu train towards Kobe, stopping at Rokko station.

From Rokko station we had to ask where to find bus 16 to the cable car. The goes up the mountains behind Kobe and past Kobe University. Note that they don't seem to accept the Kansai Thru Pass, though the driver just waved us through.

Unfortunately, the cable car was closed due to a landslide, so we were directed to catch a small bus.

The bus wound itself up Mount Rokko, almost a kilometre high and due to its proximity to the coast, feeling much higher. The scenery was stunning, with wonderful views down across Kobe and thick green forest all around. B was feeling motion sick.

At the summit station of the cable car there was a curious lack of action. I could see a ropeway station nearby, but it seemed rusty and nothing moved. There were some truly awesome views across from Osaka to Kobe.

It turned out that the ropeway from this station was disused and we would have to catch a bus to the Arima Onsen ropeway on the other side of the mountain. A real pity as the views from this ropeway would have been amazing.

The bus drove us past a variety of interesting attractions before depositing us at the quiet ropeway station.

No complaints about this ropeway. We rode high above the forests of cypress and other trees, with views out far across the land. Alex's eyes were glued to the front of the cable car while our jaws just dropped. Japan just keeps throwing up amazing experiences.

At the terminus of the ropeway there was no English guidance or marked paths for how to get to the centre of Arima Onsen. After a false start we eventually found our way down past the big and luxurious looking resort accommodations and ryokans into a town centre of narrow winding streets and interesting food smells.

We had noodles again for lunch, then despite the heat (though it was cooler here than at the coast), we took a hot bath at Kin-no-yu, with its brown waters, caused by iron oxide particulates. It's difficult to relax in an onsen with busy Alex, but the hot water was soothing.

There is a free footbath outside, though we didn't try that.

Just across from Kin-no-yu is the Arima Toy and Automata Museum. Japan is full of quirky museums that seem to be the product of eccentric owners, but this one was another Japanese surprise. The top floor had finely carved German toys and display items, familiar from our time in Bavaria many years ago.

The next floor down had more wooden toys, blocks and puzzles, trains. Nothing special, right? A demonstration by one of the staff members changed that impression, as she showed how simple blocks could be turned into amazing shapes and games. Alex participated, and at the end we found him in the shop trying to repeat the tricks.

Following on were the mechanical automata, models which use winders, gears and levers to perform all sorts of amusing actions. There was even a mannequin Parker from the Thunderbirds.

Finally were the Marklin trains, which I grew up with, and tin toys.

Sadly, it was time to go, no time for a bath in the "silver" radioactive waters of Gin-no-yu. Another time, perhaps, because Arima Onsen is a very attractive little town. We walked down along the river with its sculpted bed, to Arima Onsen station, for a far simpler journey back to Osaka.

It still required a couple of changes. Rather than return to Umeda, we caught the Hanshin Railway from Kobe's Sannomiya station direct to Osaka Namba.

There were pretty evening skies and I loved watching the local life flicker by. Tiny izakayas and barber shops, little cafes and convenience stores. Ugly apartment blocks and houses. So much life squeezed in.

B and Alex insisted on another train for dinner: a sushi train. We ate a lot! Then it was time to enjoy the neon lights around Dotombori street and Shinsaibashi-Suji. It really is another world.

The night ended successfully by finding another Gokuri flavour: Grape - Apple - Orange.

Feeling very concerned by tomorrow's flights to Taiwan and Singapore as there is yet another typhoon, Danas, which has hit Japan's southern islands and is headed up. The effects of Typhoon Fitow on the way up were bad enough and I have no wish to experience that kind of turbulence or worse again. Have to keep an eye on any travel alerts. I can't say that I would mind being stuck in Japan for another few days!


Popular posts from this blog

Ho Chi Minh to Hoi An

The easy way to get to Hoi An from Ho Chi Minh City is to fly to Danang then go via car for the final leg. Then there's my way. We had to wake at 5.30 am to get ready for a 6.15 departure from the hotel. A hotel car took us the few kilometres to the domestic terminal at the airport, where we checked into our Vietnam Airlines flight to the central Vietnam city of Hue. The airport was nothing flash, but it seemed functional. Alex had sandwiches (refused banh mi) for breakfast, then we went to the gate. Our blue Airbus A321 was parked at a remote stand, which necessitated a packed shuttle bus ride. It was nice to be aboard a full service airline again, even if the service was just a cup of water. We took off over the hazy skies of Ho Chi Minh City and for most of the smooth flight were cruising over a carpet of cloud. We descended over mountains poking their heads through the cloud, across lakes and paddy fields and over the beach. It was lovely scenery.

The Carlingford Line

We close the year and the decade with a local adventure to mark the closure of a railway line. On the January 5, 2020, the Carlingford Line from Clyde will close to be partially replaced by the Parramatta Light Rail. This is Sydney's quietest line, a single track branch for most of its length from the industrial centre of Clyde to the northwestern suburb of Carlingford. According to Wikipedia, power supply and signalling issues mean that only a single four car train can utilise the line at a time. Newer Sydney trains run in fixed eight car configurations. This will be the first and last time I traverse the Carlingford Line in its current configuration. The weather of the day is certainly appropriate for an ending, the brown smoke haze lending an apocalyptic air to proceedings. I drive to Padstow and catch the T8 line to Central, followed by the T1 towards Parramatta and Penrith. The historic homes of the Inner West give way to industrial complexes, rail storage yards and t

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feelings,