Skip to main content

Singapore Science Centre

We all felt like crap today. Chewed up and shat out. It stank.

And it happened twice.

Two of us thought it fun.

All of us saw something shocking.

And more than one thing simply frightening.

Hopefully we all learned something from the experience.

I'm talking about the Singapore Science Centre.

After a pretty decent breakfast of kaya toast (next door shopping centre), nasi lemak and laksa (local Tanjong Pagar centre across the road) we caught the MRT to Jurong East and walked to the Science Centre.

Their laksa might be cheap compared with Australia, but their pizzas aren't!
Fortunately, we were just in time to catch the Tesla coil lightning show as a similar facility had been closed for maitenance at Canberra's Questacon and booked out at Melbourne's Scienceworks during our visits. I especially like the hydrogen balloon bursting.

There were some really fantastic exhibits around the centre. Alex got stuck for ages building his own marble run contraption out of bits and pieces and I had a go on an  Occulus Rift (crap resolution). We were blown by 120 km/h gusts of wind in the typhoon simulator. Not great for your hair!

We paid extra for the Human Body Experience where you travel down the mouth and through the interior of a simulated body, full of inflated organs. It's dark and confined and Alex found it scary, but B and I enjoyed it. The intestine does stink though, like the Poo machine of MONA in Hobart.

The other extra exhibition was Monsters of the Sea which features full sized animatronic replicas of humongous sharks, reptiles and dinosaurs from prehistory. It's scary to imagine sharing a world with them!

It's been twenty years since my first and only other visit to the science centre and there have been a few changes. The cloud chamber, where you could watch traces of passing cosmic rays, has gone. Pity, because that was my favourite exhibit. Also the Burger King, where I had my first Whopper (it was near the end of almost a month in Singapore and Malaysia and I was starving), is now a McDonalds.

It is possibly the best science centre that I have visited, though comparisons are always hard because each place has its own special offerings. As long as you learn or understand a concept better when you come out, that's all that counts.

We spent hours in the science centre. After emerging into the humidity we walked across to the Jurong East shopping centre, stopping by to eat some apom balik. Alex had mee siam in the basement and I was tempted by a Katong 328 laksa. We did some shopping, then B had a dinner of ba ku teh. She said her own version was better, but neither Alex nor I eat it.

Alex was exhausted and starving by the time we caught the MRT back to Tanjong Pagar. He and I had dinner at the nearby Maxwell Food Centre. Despite it only being barely 8pm most of the stalls were closing.

Based on previous experience I broke my rule of going somewhere else when there's a queue of Singaporeans and waited for the Hokkien prawn noodles from the Marina South stall. They are so good when you mix in the sambal. Alex gobbled them up, but we had to buy him a fried rice while I finished off with a pretty good rojak.

Now satisfied, we walk back to the hotel, another day complete.


Anonymous said…
"It's been twenty years since my first and only other visit to the science centre and there have been a few changes. The cloud chamber, where you could watch traces of passing cosmic rays, has gone. Pity, because that was my favourite exhibit." Andrew! That was my favourite exibit too! It was around the same time i first saw that exibit. Was mesmorised with the particles zooming through the clouds. But it was sadly gone when i went there again a few years ago. Thanks for mentioning about that exibit in this blog!
Unknown said…
What a great post! It might be time to come back via Singapore...
allrite said…
Thanks! Scoot's times can be rather nasty, but I prefer them to AirAsiaX and Singapore itself is pretty painless for transit (if expensive!).

Popular posts from this blog

Ho Chi Minh to Hoi An

The easy way to get to Hoi An from Ho Chi Minh City is to fly to Danang then go via car for the final leg. Then there's my way. We had to wake at 5.30 am to get ready for a 6.15 departure from the hotel. A hotel car took us the few kilometres to the domestic terminal at the airport, where we checked into our Vietnam Airlines flight to the central Vietnam city of Hue. The airport was nothing flash, but it seemed functional. Alex had sandwiches (refused banh mi) for breakfast, then we went to the gate. Our blue Airbus A321 was parked at a remote stand, which necessitated a packed shuttle bus ride. It was nice to be aboard a full service airline again, even if the service was just a cup of water. We took off over the hazy skies of Ho Chi Minh City and for most of the smooth flight were cruising over a carpet of cloud. We descended over mountains poking their heads through the cloud, across lakes and paddy fields and over the beach. It was lovely scenery.

The Carlingford Line

We close the year and the decade with a local adventure to mark the closure of a railway line. On the January 5, 2020, the Carlingford Line from Clyde will close to be partially replaced by the Parramatta Light Rail. This is Sydney's quietest line, a single track branch for most of its length from the industrial centre of Clyde to the northwestern suburb of Carlingford. According to Wikipedia, power supply and signalling issues mean that only a single four car train can utilise the line at a time. Newer Sydney trains run in fixed eight car configurations. This will be the first and last time I traverse the Carlingford Line in its current configuration. The weather of the day is certainly appropriate for an ending, the brown smoke haze lending an apocalyptic air to proceedings. I drive to Padstow and catch the T8 line to Central, followed by the T1 towards Parramatta and Penrith. The historic homes of the Inner West give way to industrial complexes, rail storage yards and t

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feelings,