Skip to main content

An old friend

Here we are again at the beginning of 2016 staying at an old friend. It's a place of many memories, from our wedding night fourteen years ago, through to a work conference, pregnancy with Alex and a tenth anniversary. The Novotel Brighton Beach has seen changes in that time, with sad farewells to the waterslide and Balinese pool and waterfall, to old Playstations in the rooms. But it still has the fantastic views of Botany Bay, of the airport that pokes out into the waters of the bay busy with activity against a backdrop of Sydney city.

It's so nice to lie back and relax, a bottle of spiced ginger beer (non-alcoholic, of course) watching the plans fly people off on adventures. Tomorrow we'll join them. Appropriately enough my 21st year old international travel will begin with a return to my very first international destination: Singapore.

I need the rest. It's been so busy lately, with juggling work, looking after a seven year old on school holidays and preparing for this trip. Forget packing clothes and other items, it's digital packing that's the real hassle these days.

We are each taking a tablet. If it were just my Android tablet it would be easy, it connects to a lot of stuff. But the other two have iPads and we are not an Apple house. Apples don't like loading from other devices. Then there's making sure everything is backed up and charged. It's not something that can be hurried and stuffed into a suitcase at the last minute.

So I'm glad of this pause before we jump on board our eight hour flight to Singapore.

We finished up in the house around midday, packed the car and set out to take Kita to his boarding kennel, after which it was a short drive to Brighton Le Sands. Lunch in Brighton these days seems to inevitably end up at the Bay Vista dessert cafe. Toasties, pancakes and ice cream, we were seriously full when we emerged.

I left B and Alex at the hotel after checking in and drove the car back home. A change was replacing the hazy heat and humdity with threatening grey storm clouds and gusty winds. I was glad not to be flying immediately.

It took me two trains and two buses to return to the hotel, sweaty and exhausted. Alex demanded a swim and the two of us headed downstairs. No waterslide now, hasn't been one for years, but the water was warm and the pool big. I can live in hope that a few laps burnt off lunch's excesses!

The segmented ziggurat of the hotel building loomed impressively over the pool. Pool furniture migrated across the deck in the strong winds and we watched turboprops shake with turbulence as they rose overhead.

I was eager to take a stroll along the beach, but when we got there Alex was driven back by the sting of the windblown sand grains. I loved the feeling of the sand between my toes and the swoosh of the waves against the beach.

We found a small dead stingray washed up on the beach, sand grains dancing over its skin.

As I watched the aircraft taking off and landing I realised that I didn't quite feel the same way about them any more. It's like that sense of shared adventure has been partly lost and replaced by an anxiety of the ride and an anxiousness to reach the destination without delay. I hope that tomorrow's ride will be a good one.

B and Alex returned to the main street walking back alongside the rode, while I kept to the beach, enjoying the evening lights and the touch of sand. Still full from lunch, we couldn't finish the dinner of a fisherman's basket.

At the nearby Coles supermarket I discovered a clearance sale of the spiced Christmas ginger beer softdrink and bought a pack. After enjoying a relaxing spa in our upgraded room I sat outside and watched the parade of ant lights below. Cars and aircraft, billboards and buildings, people strolling under streetlights and along the beach.

I only wish I had longer here. It's nice to be back, old friend.

I'm going to try to do more live updates on this trip. So take a look at Instagram and Tumblr, along with Whereis allrite@.


Popular posts from this blog

Ho Chi Minh to Hoi An

The easy way to get to Hoi An from Ho Chi Minh City is to fly to Danang then go via car for the final leg. Then there's my way. We had to wake at 5.30 am to get ready for a 6.15 departure from the hotel. A hotel car took us the few kilometres to the domestic terminal at the airport, where we checked into our Vietnam Airlines flight to the central Vietnam city of Hue. The airport was nothing flash, but it seemed functional. Alex had sandwiches (refused banh mi) for breakfast, then we went to the gate. Our blue Airbus A321 was parked at a remote stand, which necessitated a packed shuttle bus ride. It was nice to be aboard a full service airline again, even if the service was just a cup of water. We took off over the hazy skies of Ho Chi Minh City and for most of the smooth flight were cruising over a carpet of cloud. We descended over mountains poking their heads through the cloud, across lakes and paddy fields and over the beach. It was lovely scenery.

The Carlingford Line

We close the year and the decade with a local adventure to mark the closure of a railway line. On the January 5, 2020, the Carlingford Line from Clyde will close to be partially replaced by the Parramatta Light Rail. This is Sydney's quietest line, a single track branch for most of its length from the industrial centre of Clyde to the northwestern suburb of Carlingford. According to Wikipedia, power supply and signalling issues mean that only a single four car train can utilise the line at a time. Newer Sydney trains run in fixed eight car configurations. This will be the first and last time I traverse the Carlingford Line in its current configuration. The weather of the day is certainly appropriate for an ending, the brown smoke haze lending an apocalyptic air to proceedings. I drive to Padstow and catch the T8 line to Central, followed by the T1 towards Parramatta and Penrith. The historic homes of the Inner West give way to industrial complexes, rail storage yards and t

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feelings,