Skip to main content

Farewell to the Jetstar A330s

Today marks the last day flying in Jetstar colours for the Airbus A330-200. After today all Jetstar's medium and long haul flying will be performed by the Boeing 787-8.

The event certainly won't mark the end of the A330 in Australian skies. Many airlines use the aircraft on Australian routes. Most of the Jetstar A330s themselves originally came from Jetstar's parent Qantas and are returning to the airline to be repainted in the white and red.

I rather like the A330 in Jetstar orange and silver colours. The A330-200 is an attractive aircraft anyway.

Parked at Gate 31 at Sydney Airport

By my count I've flown in Jetstar A330s twenty-one times in seven years. Almost all of those flights were to Japan, although there was one return trip on the now defunct Sydney to Kuala Lumpur route and another on the similarly cancelled Singapore to Osaka direct flight.

So plenty of happy memories there for me!

Despite this, I'm not unhappy about the change to the Boeing 787-8. My experience this year on Jetstar 787 flights has been a good one and they are attractive looking aircraft in their own right. I'm looking forward to many more years of overseas adventures with Jetstar.

A Jetstar Airbus A330 is towed to the gate at Sydney Airport
The economy cabin in a Jetstar A330
VH-EBJ was equipped with seat back screens, but most aircraft were not. We flew on it between Singapore and Osaka.
VH-EBC was the odd one out, painted white in this hybrid livery. 
Onwards and upwards!
The Boeing 787-8 has replaced the A330 at Jetstar.
But the A330 will live on.


Popular posts from this blog

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feeling

The sound of running water

We made it home from Osaka. There is a special feeling that comes when your arrive at your house after a holiday. It is utter relaxation. No longer do you need to worry about other language or customs. There is no need to look up directions, to plan out your day, to journey between sights. Then again, you now need to clean up your own mess, to make your own bed. Rather than eat out you need to cook your own dinner. The shower is weak and the toilet doesn't wash your bum. And you need to wake up early tomorrow morning in order to spend a day at work. You are back to your old routine. Looking back upon this holiday in Japan I've decided that the theme of running water has applied to each of the days. Sunday - Arrival in Osaka - washing ourselves Japanese style Monday - Matsuyama - water from the hot springs at Dogo Onsen Tuesday - Takamatsu - waterfall at Ritsuen-koen Wednesday - Tsumago - streams of water throughout the town Thursday - Takayama - the sounds of rushing water e

Insanity at 40,000 feet - Part 2

We could relax for a moment. The gate lounges at Kuala Lumpur's LCCT were crowded, but our gate was not yet open. Once it was we quickly made out way outside for the long walk to the aircraft. The terminal offered no air conditioned respite from the tropical weather outside and we were perspiring on both sides of the gate. It's a pity that taking photos on the tarmac is forbidden, because the tropical evening sun cast a beautiful orange-gold light. Our flight to Singapore was on an AirAsia A320, the workhorse of a low cost carrier. The legroom was shorter, but still adequate and the width felt greater than their longer cousin we had just flown. Alex sat at the window and was excited to see the world outside, chattering loudly. Captain Raj gave a detailed, but clear, explanation of the flight, listing runways and routes like an aircraft enthusiast. We launched into hazy grey skies that were soon dark for a very typical hour long flight to Singapore.