Skip to main content

Tasmania Middle and East

There are train days and there are car days. Today was supposed to be a bit of both. The plan was to drive up to Devonport and the Don River Railway before arriving back in Hobart for the Festival of Voices bonfire, stopping at interesting small towns along the way. Travelling along the Midland Highway we got as far as Perth before Alex complained of feeling motion sick.

Realising how much further we still had to go we decided to return to Hobart, but via the East Coast route. It was a long, but spectacular ride. I'm too tired to write so I'll tell the story with photos.

Morning mists across the Derwent at Bridgewater

Winter trees along Highway 1.
Historic Oatlands houses the rebuilt Carrington Mill

Post Office at Ross, another historic town just off the Midland Highway

There were many sheep farms along the way. Ben Lomond is in the background.

River along the Lake Leake Highway (B34) as we head towards the East Coast.
The Ben Lomond National Park in the background, touched by snow.
The railway followed us as far as Fingal. It would make a very scenic trip, but sadly no commercial passenger services are operated in Tasmania, only tourist trains.
From St Marys it was a nerve wracking ride across the ranges and down to the coast
We followed the Tasman Highway (A3) southwards down the coast
Bicheno was a pleasant coastal town where we stopped to buy fresh fish and a snack of oysters and fish and chips.

The Blowhole at Bicheno. We'd love to do a slow trip down the coast.
Vineyards, Great Oyster Bay and the Freycinet Peninsula
Although we were in a hurry, we couldn't help pulling in at Swansea.

The smell of seaweed, waves gently lapping against the shore while strong surf was heard but unseen
The bare and lonely coastal landscape had a real beauty about it 

The road turns inland again at Orford

The Sun was setting and we were concerned about kangaroos on the road

We had seen these long causeways across the Coal River from the air yesterday

Finally, the Tasman Bridge into Hobart
We arrived at Salamanca Place just in time to watch the procession of singers with their torches.

The lighting of the bonfire

Showers of sparks rise into the air
We returned to the hotel where I prepared a dinner of fresh fish and pasta. Today underscored how beautiful this island state is and that this trip is just too short to take it all in.


Popular posts from this blog

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feeling

The sound of running water

We made it home from Osaka. There is a special feeling that comes when your arrive at your house after a holiday. It is utter relaxation. No longer do you need to worry about other language or customs. There is no need to look up directions, to plan out your day, to journey between sights. Then again, you now need to clean up your own mess, to make your own bed. Rather than eat out you need to cook your own dinner. The shower is weak and the toilet doesn't wash your bum. And you need to wake up early tomorrow morning in order to spend a day at work. You are back to your old routine. Looking back upon this holiday in Japan I've decided that the theme of running water has applied to each of the days. Sunday - Arrival in Osaka - washing ourselves Japanese style Monday - Matsuyama - water from the hot springs at Dogo Onsen Tuesday - Takamatsu - waterfall at Ritsuen-koen Wednesday - Tsumago - streams of water throughout the town Thursday - Takayama - the sounds of rushing water e

Insanity at 40,000 feet - Part 2

We could relax for a moment. The gate lounges at Kuala Lumpur's LCCT were crowded, but our gate was not yet open. Once it was we quickly made out way outside for the long walk to the aircraft. The terminal offered no air conditioned respite from the tropical weather outside and we were perspiring on both sides of the gate. It's a pity that taking photos on the tarmac is forbidden, because the tropical evening sun cast a beautiful orange-gold light. Our flight to Singapore was on an AirAsia A320, the workhorse of a low cost carrier. The legroom was shorter, but still adequate and the width felt greater than their longer cousin we had just flown. Alex sat at the window and was excited to see the world outside, chattering loudly. Captain Raj gave a detailed, but clear, explanation of the flight, listing runways and routes like an aircraft enthusiast. We launched into hazy grey skies that were soon dark for a very typical hour long flight to Singapore.