Skip to main content


When you think of major art destinations around the world, sleepy little Hobart would probably be considered an unlikely place. But it's true. Since 2011 Hobart has been home to the Museum of New and Old Art, or MONA for short. As its name says it houses art and objects from the ancient to the cutting edge and it has definitely place Hobart on the map.

Having been to some of Europe and Australia's finest galleries, MONA was definitely on our list for this trip.

First we had to partake in some transitory art: Breakfast. B insisted on going to Jackson and Macross, a patisserie and bakery but a short walk from our hotel. Compared with the mainland the prices are very reasonable and the food is wow! My raspberry brioche is good, but Alex's chocolate croissant is so crisp and buttery, as perfect a croissant as you could want. B's salmon and egg tart is simply brilliant.

We walk down the sandstone steps to the harbour, where we buy tickets for the ferry to MONA. There's a bit of time until the next run, so we walk into the sleepy Sunday centre of Hobart, doors just opening at 10 am. Then we return to the pier to catch the camouflage patterned catamaran MR-1.

The top rear deck has stools and sheep for seats, along with a white cow. Inside is a bar and cafe with a caged parrot with a warning that he bites.

As we motor out into the Derwent River dolphins are leaping out of the water, small black shapes popping up and disappearing.

We go past The Investigator and under the big Tasman Bridge. It's cold out the back and spitting rain but you wouldn't want to be anywhere else on board.

On one side is a fuel import terminal, on the other are cliff walls of shattered stone and small caves. We pass the Nyrstar zinc refinery. It looks old, dirty and clouds of steam are streaming up to the sky. But it's also beautiful in an industrial kind of way.

The hangers of Incat signify a more modern industry, building the very catamaran we are sitting in and many others in use across the world.

From the outside MONA has a very low key presence, some rusted metal panels reminiscent of Australia's (and Luxembourg's) pavilions at the Shanghai World Expo in 2010, though less impressive. Most of the gallery lies below the ground, accessible via a spiral staircase or the glass lift that Alex insisted we take down three levels below.

It almost feels like some sort of surreal post-apocalyptic science fictional environment down at the bottom. Set in a trench of sandstone that looks like it was part of an old industrial workplace you are greeted by a bar and French style armchairs along with a waterfall of messages. Then you enter the gallery proper, equipped with special iPhones called the "O" that give more information on each exhibit based upon your location.

The museum is currently featuring an exhibition of Marina Abramovic's works. Most of our previous experiences of performance based art have involved befuddlement and boredom at interpretative dancing and shrieking, but the displays were immediately confronting and involving, evoking a very visceral response.

Videos of her pulling on a bow as a man aims an arrow at her heart, of people screaming, even brushing her hair with emotional vigour were all affecting. I wonder if Tony Abbott was inspired by her devouring a raw onion.

There are crystal beds, rubbings off stones from Hiroshima, a stop motion brain and an artifical digestion system that eats and shits. There is so much more, too much to detail. Some content is "adult" in nature, but even Alex enjoyed a surprising number of things.

After four hours it is time to leave. The skies are clearing as we catch the ferry back. We've gone without lunch and Alex insists on another visit to Mures. Despite only ordering two meals, one of which was a kid's, we are absolutely full again as we walk back to the hotel room in the chilly air.

None of us have the energy to reemerge. We had planned to visit the Drunken Admiral, another favourite haunt, for dinner, but were just too full. Not so full that we couldn't resist stopping by Jackson and Macross again to take away some more pastries.

I went to bed early, feeling sad that this short trip was about to end.


Popular posts from this blog

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feeling

The sound of running water

We made it home from Osaka. There is a special feeling that comes when your arrive at your house after a holiday. It is utter relaxation. No longer do you need to worry about other language or customs. There is no need to look up directions, to plan out your day, to journey between sights. Then again, you now need to clean up your own mess, to make your own bed. Rather than eat out you need to cook your own dinner. The shower is weak and the toilet doesn't wash your bum. And you need to wake up early tomorrow morning in order to spend a day at work. You are back to your old routine. Looking back upon this holiday in Japan I've decided that the theme of running water has applied to each of the days. Sunday - Arrival in Osaka - washing ourselves Japanese style Monday - Matsuyama - water from the hot springs at Dogo Onsen Tuesday - Takamatsu - waterfall at Ritsuen-koen Wednesday - Tsumago - streams of water throughout the town Thursday - Takayama - the sounds of rushing water e

Insanity at 40,000 feet - Part 2

We could relax for a moment. The gate lounges at Kuala Lumpur's LCCT were crowded, but our gate was not yet open. Once it was we quickly made out way outside for the long walk to the aircraft. The terminal offered no air conditioned respite from the tropical weather outside and we were perspiring on both sides of the gate. It's a pity that taking photos on the tarmac is forbidden, because the tropical evening sun cast a beautiful orange-gold light. Our flight to Singapore was on an AirAsia A320, the workhorse of a low cost carrier. The legroom was shorter, but still adequate and the width felt greater than their longer cousin we had just flown. Alex sat at the window and was excited to see the world outside, chattering loudly. Captain Raj gave a detailed, but clear, explanation of the flight, listing runways and routes like an aircraft enthusiast. We launched into hazy grey skies that were soon dark for a very typical hour long flight to Singapore.