Skip to main content

Japan in Dubbo and flying doctors

So no Japan trip last year and who knows if we'll be able to go this year? But who would expect to find a piece of Japan in country Dubbo?

The Shoyoen Japanese Garden in the Dubbo Regional Botanic Gardens was surprisingly authentic, one of those unexpected gems we are more used to finding in random Japanese locations than in our extended Australian backyard.

Huge koi carp suck at the sky, hoping for food. Beyond them, a stone lantern and, hidden away, a pebble garden, the raked curves marred by footsteps.

At the other end of the gardens, a waterfall and a tea house, two waiting rooms with benches besides it. They appeared to be constructed in the Japanese way, without nails. The miniature fan leaves of the ginkgo trees offering shade from an increasingly hot day.

But for the bone dry heat of the Australian interior I feel like I could be in Japan. It is a pity that the tea house is closed, possibly only open for special events. I could quite easily imagine taking tea, or maybe a bowl of noodles, inside.

Behind the Japanese gardens is a sensory garden. B discovers a daun kesum shrub with a scent that immediately makes me hunger for assam laksa.

No such foods to be had here. 

Our zoo ticket is valid for two days, so we decide to drive back out there to try to catch some of the animals we missed in the heat of yesterday. 

This time we drive around the park and we are in luck. The rhinos laze around together and the four cheetahs are out. There is even a male lion lying in the shade. The lemurs wave their stripey tails and the gibbon pair stare bored. 

What makes it worth the return visit is the pair of howling siamangs. Hoot, hoot, hoot, they can be heard from a distance. Swinging, drinking and hoping. Great fun! 

Though it is brand new our car cannot find our next destination, the Royal Flying Doctor Service Experience, on its GPS. Lucky for Google's Android Auto integration.

The Experience takes you through the incredible history and services off by the Royal Flying Doctor Service. We are greeted by Betty, a walking frame bound volunteer with a long association with the service. She was even friends with the famous Nancy-Bird Walton, for whom Qantas' first A380 was named.

The RFDS pioneered radio communications, telehealth and the School of the Air in the bush. It is amazing to think how the descendents of these services have played such a huge role in many of our lives, even in the cities, during the pandemic. And at the height of the lockdowns, it was often only RFDS aircraft operations at normally busy Sydney Airport.

There is a King Air 200 on display, along with a fuselage display with augmented reality and a seductive video of drifting clouds out of its windows.

The Fox Moth biplane out in the cafe is interesting too, the nose housing room for a patient and doctor, but the pilot sits exposed on top.

The food in the cafe is pretty good too. The others had fish and chips, but my soba salad was really delicious and a nice little connection with our first destination of the day.

It is too early to return to the motel, but the day is scorching now and we don't feel like being outside. The Western Plains Cultural Centre is free and air-conditioned. There are some impressive HSC artworks on display, a travelling concrete art exhibition that is surprisingly interesting and a small museum of local history that has some fascinating artefacts. 

The forecast gives a few days of fierce heat in the region. It's entirely not unexpected, but I stupidly only have black t-shirts left to wear. So I pop into Kmart for some cheap alternatives.

That's enough for the day, and enough of Dubbo.


Popular posts from this blog

Ho Chi Minh to Hoi An

The easy way to get to Hoi An from Ho Chi Minh City is to fly to Danang then go via car for the final leg. Then there's my way. We had to wake at 5.30 am to get ready for a 6.15 departure from the hotel. A hotel car took us the few kilometres to the domestic terminal at the airport, where we checked into our Vietnam Airlines flight to the central Vietnam city of Hue. The airport was nothing flash, but it seemed functional. Alex had sandwiches (refused banh mi) for breakfast, then we went to the gate. Our blue Airbus A321 was parked at a remote stand, which necessitated a packed shuttle bus ride. It was nice to be aboard a full service airline again, even if the service was just a cup of water. We took off over the hazy skies of Ho Chi Minh City and for most of the smooth flight were cruising over a carpet of cloud. We descended over mountains poking their heads through the cloud, across lakes and paddy fields and over the beach. It was lovely scenery.

The Carlingford Line

We close the year and the decade with a local adventure to mark the closure of a railway line. On the January 5, 2020, the Carlingford Line from Clyde will close to be partially replaced by the Parramatta Light Rail. This is Sydney's quietest line, a single track branch for most of its length from the industrial centre of Clyde to the northwestern suburb of Carlingford. According to Wikipedia, power supply and signalling issues mean that only a single four car train can utilise the line at a time. Newer Sydney trains run in fixed eight car configurations. This will be the first and last time I traverse the Carlingford Line in its current configuration. The weather of the day is certainly appropriate for an ending, the brown smoke haze lending an apocalyptic air to proceedings. I drive to Padstow and catch the T8 line to Central, followed by the T1 towards Parramatta and Penrith. The historic homes of the Inner West give way to industrial complexes, rail storage yards and t

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feelings,