Skip to main content

The Carlingford Line

We close the year and the decade with a local adventure to mark the closure of a railway line. On the January 5, 2020, the Carlingford Line from Clyde will close to be partially replaced by the Parramatta Light Rail.

This is Sydney's quietest line, a single track branch for most of its length from the industrial centre of Clyde to the northwestern suburb of Carlingford. According to Wikipedia, power supply and signalling issues mean that only a single four car train can utilise the line at a time. Newer Sydney trains run in fixed eight car configurations.

This will be the first and last time I traverse the Carlingford Line in its current configuration. The weather of the day is certainly appropriate for an ending, the brown smoke haze lending an apocalyptic air to proceedings.

I drive to Padstow and catch the T8 line to Central, followed by the T1 towards Parramatta and Penrith. The historic homes of the Inner West give way to industrial complexes, rail storage yards and town centres reflecting the diversity of more recent immigrants.

The Carlingford Line begins at Clyde, its three island platforms topped with art deco style red brick station buildings linked by an overhead bridge, which I hurry across to reach the train waiting at platform 1. The four car Millenium train sits with doors open.

I'm not the only rail fan catching this train. I can see a few others, young, old, with cameras and phones out, snapping away. I retreat inside, uncertain at the departure timetable.

The beep-beep-beep of closing doors sounds and, with a hum, we slowly crawl out of the station and curve northwards away from the other lines heading west. A railways maintenance depot sits in the gap of the Y between the sets of tracks and we cross what is probably the best known remaining level crossing in Sydney, over busy Parramatta Road.

Also running beneath us is polluted Duck Creek. We pass the decaying building sign of Bio Veterinary, then Big Al's Wholesale Cars with its yellow Mini-Moke on the roof.

It's only a short distance to our first stop, Rosehill, serving the Rosehill Racecourse. The horses aren't running today and the platforms stand empty of the crowds for which they run special train services.

A little further along on the other side there's one of only three branches of the American Hooters restaurant chain. These kinds of "family restaurants" have become rare in Australia. I've never dined there.

The line now becomes single track and the short distances between stops feel almost tram like already. Next is Camellia, an industrial area looking rather worse for wear. This is another perspective on what we saw from the Parramatta ferry, for after Camellia we are crossing one of the low bridges across the Parramatta river.

To our left is the pleasant looking University of Western Sydney Parramatta Campus, served by Rydalmere Station, distant from the ferry terminal of the same name.

Then comes Dundas, its historic wooden station building overshadowed by modern residential towers.

We are now heading uphill through suburban areas giving passengers an intimate view of neighbourhood lives. Over busy Kissing Point Road, then winding up to Telopea Station. The cluster of tiny shops behind the station appears to be the first view of anything approaching a local commercial soul.

Beyond Telopea, a grassy park runs alongside the track for quite a distance. A thin man, his shirt rolled up to expose a taught belly, exercises his kelpie dog. There are views beyond across to the east of Sydney as we rise towards the top of the hill.

It feels too soon as the train comes to a final stop at the terminus of Carlingford. Just a single track abruptly ending in a wooden buffer a few metres beyond the platform. To one side, the rusty corrugated iron roofed sheds of the Producers Cooperative are dwarfed by the new apartment block towers beside it. On the other is a station carpark and a few small shops up the hill. Carlingford proper is further away, clustered around the Cumberland Highway.

Passengers mill around snapping photos of the train. Families boarded, ready for the journey towards the city or Parramatta. Twelve minutes later I too am heading back down the way we came, sitting on the opposite side of the train this time, trying to take in as much as possible.

When we arrive back in Clyde I wander around, find a display of the old wooden stopping boards inside a station building. The brown skies paint the surrounds of the station in a harsh light, abandoned and silent in the Sunday post-Christmas shutdown period.

The Carlingford Line may not be the most scenic or interesting railway line in Sydney, but it has its own charms, a rare branch line on this busy network. Any train line closure saddens me, but at least this one will be partially retained in a different form. Next year it will be time for me to celebrate the opening of new light rail systems instead of mourning the old.


Unknown said…
Dr Wright, an interesting story about the smallest heavy rail line in the Sydney System. I would like to correct two minor errors. Big Al has a Leyland Mini Clubman suspended on his sign and we Sydneysiders refer to the wooden "stopping" boards as destination boards. SMM
Anonymous said…
The electrification of the Carlingford to Clyde branch opened in November 1959 so it has had electric train operation for just over 60 years - although steam trains continued to operate the last service at night until after 1968 (the 1968 working timetable indicates a 30 class tank engine) and until the 1980s the late night services were operated by CPH railmotors. In the late 1980s and early 1990s services were operated by 3 car single deck sets which were targetted as "Y sets" - with 2 motor cars and a trailer. The heritage single deck set will be running shuttles from Clyde to Carlingford this Saturday (4 January 2020); the last full day of operation.
allrite said…
It's a mini something and it's a car so I don't care! :)
allrite said…
Wow, great information thanks! That would be tempting to catch on Saturday, though I doubt if the others in the family would agree.

Popular posts from this blog

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feelings,

The sound of running water

We made it home from Osaka. There is a special feeling that comes when your arrive at your house after a holiday. It is utter relaxation. No longer do you need to worry about other language or customs. There is no need to look up directions, to plan out your day, to journey between sights. Then again, you now need to clean up your own mess, to make your own bed. Rather than eat out you need to cook your own dinner. The shower is weak and the toilet doesn't wash your bum. And you need to wake up early tomorrow morning in order to spend a day at work. You are back to your old routine. Looking back upon this holiday in Japan I've decided that the theme of running water has applied to each of the days. Sunday - Arrival in Osaka - washing ourselves Japanese style Monday - Matsuyama - water from the hot springs at Dogo Onsen Tuesday - Takamatsu - waterfall at Ritsuen-koen Wednesday - Tsumago - streams of water throughout the town Thursday - Takayama - the sounds of rushing water eve

Ho Chi Minh to Hoi An

The easy way to get to Hoi An from Ho Chi Minh City is to fly to Danang then go via car for the final leg. Then there's my way. We had to wake at 5.30 am to get ready for a 6.15 departure from the hotel. A hotel car took us the few kilometres to the domestic terminal at the airport, where we checked into our Vietnam Airlines flight to the central Vietnam city of Hue. The airport was nothing flash, but it seemed functional. Alex had sandwiches (refused banh mi) for breakfast, then we went to the gate. Our blue Airbus A321 was parked at a remote stand, which necessitated a packed shuttle bus ride. It was nice to be aboard a full service airline again, even if the service was just a cup of water. We took off over the hazy skies of Ho Chi Minh City and for most of the smooth flight were cruising over a carpet of cloud. We descended over mountains poking their heads through the cloud, across lakes and paddy fields and over the beach. It was lovely scenery.