Skip to main content

Goodbyes and whys

And so the journey begins with a kiss and a sad wave goodbye. Why do I do this, heading off alone, leaving those I love behind? Struggling to sleep in a too small bed, seduced by places I've never seen, the mental exercise of planning, then I am vulnerable to the call. But once I am away I realise how much I love and miss my B and Alex.

I must do this. Must ride the long and possibly monotonous tracks where the would just suffer. The compulsion to experience what must be evanescent UN a shrinking future. This is the calling of the Japanese rails. So too the aging inefficient Qantas 747s, steadily supplanted by their less fuel thirsty younger cousins.

This is a nostalgia whose time approaches, resignation, but not an embrace, for a future that must yet come.

As the airport winds down for the night it adopts a sombre atmosphere. The bustling crowds of passengers, families, groups, individuals, chattering excitedly, nervously, expectantly about their flights, browsing the many shops, eating, rushing, reclining, surfing, talking has been replaced by hushed tones, solitary diners, cleaners and shopkeepers preparing to close for the night.


Outside, take offs and landings become sparse, as operations are curtailed for the night. Like an unruly teenager having held too many late night parties, Sydney Airport has been slapped with a noise curfew. My flight is the last to depart before the doors are locked.

I retreat to the Qantas Business Lounge, using the last of my passes to enter. Here I can have a seat, a free dinner of roast chicken and a complex pumpkin dish, cheesecake and cheese crackers. Hopefully a shower too.


It is quiet and calm in here, guest murmuring, one child's voice reminding me if Alex in tone and enthusiasm. I miss him, miss B, feel the nervousness of night flights returning. The lounge staff have switched the television to X Factor, watching Psy and his Gangnam Style. I suspect his recent popularity here is more a case of Westerners trying to hook into what is already a long popular genre in Asia: K-pop. A quick view of PopAsia on SBS reveals it's repetitive and style of substance nature. J-pop, the origin of where I'm headed, is no different.


Popular posts from this blog

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feeling

The sound of running water

We made it home from Osaka. There is a special feeling that comes when your arrive at your house after a holiday. It is utter relaxation. No longer do you need to worry about other language or customs. There is no need to look up directions, to plan out your day, to journey between sights. Then again, you now need to clean up your own mess, to make your own bed. Rather than eat out you need to cook your own dinner. The shower is weak and the toilet doesn't wash your bum. And you need to wake up early tomorrow morning in order to spend a day at work. You are back to your old routine. Looking back upon this holiday in Japan I've decided that the theme of running water has applied to each of the days. Sunday - Arrival in Osaka - washing ourselves Japanese style Monday - Matsuyama - water from the hot springs at Dogo Onsen Tuesday - Takamatsu - waterfall at Ritsuen-koen Wednesday - Tsumago - streams of water throughout the town Thursday - Takayama - the sounds of rushing water e

Insanity at 40,000 feet - Part 2

We could relax for a moment. The gate lounges at Kuala Lumpur's LCCT were crowded, but our gate was not yet open. Once it was we quickly made out way outside for the long walk to the aircraft. The terminal offered no air conditioned respite from the tropical weather outside and we were perspiring on both sides of the gate. It's a pity that taking photos on the tarmac is forbidden, because the tropical evening sun cast a beautiful orange-gold light. Our flight to Singapore was on an AirAsia A320, the workhorse of a low cost carrier. The legroom was shorter, but still adequate and the width felt greater than their longer cousin we had just flown. Alex sat at the window and was excited to see the world outside, chattering loudly. Captain Raj gave a detailed, but clear, explanation of the flight, listing runways and routes like an aircraft enthusiast. We launched into hazy grey skies that were soon dark for a very typical hour long flight to Singapore.