Skip to main content

Lightning and locusts

The last trip of the year.

After spending the year flying around the Asia it's time for a holiday closer to home, time to show Alex my old home. Time to give the car a nice long drive as well. But how would our increasingly active toddler cope?

Very well, as it turned out.

One of the biggest challenges turned out to be booking Kita into a boarding kennel. After a day of ringing around all over the state we finally found a boarding vet in Bexley. But a 10:30am drop of time meant that our departure from Sydney was delayed.

Eventually we made it on to the M5 and began our journey out of Sydney. It's a very familiar journey, one we have done many, many times. I used to live in Canberra, B in Albury for a year. At least every fortnight we would drive up or down to visit each other. And there have been countless drives between Sydney and Canberra over the years.

I find the drive along the Hume Highway between Sydney until the turnoff to the Federal Highway visually boring, though outside of Sydney we saw parachutists descend towards the road before swinging away to the open fields.

As it was already past Alex's early lunchtime we searched for rest areas to stop and eat lunch, but then he fell asleep, so we kept going. He woke up as we turned off towards Yass rather than Canberra. The landscape turned now to rolling yellow hills poked through with granite boulders. There were signs of recent heavy rains, flooded dams and fields of water.

Giant windmills atop one hill formed a huge kinetic sculpture. I can't understand the complaints about these power generating windmills. They are amazing to look at.

We pulled into a rest stop and hauled out our big Esky of Christmas leftovers. Alex was highly amused by the huge numbers of flies buzzing around us. "Shoo! Shoo!"

Almost as soon as we drove out the skies turned dark grey and the car was hit by very heavy showers. Outside we saw flashes of lightning. The dramatic grey skies contrasted beautifully with the golden hills still bathed by light.

Soon the skies were blue again. There have been changes to the Hume since our last trip. More and more towns have been bypassed. This time it was Coolac and Albury. It might lead to a faster journey, but it makes the journey less interesting.

It's funny though how some things don't change. The drive out of Sydney, and the last 100km to Albury. Hurry up, are we there yet? It's not Alex asking, it's always me.

As we approached the Victorian border we were suddenly hit by swarms of locusts. Then when we turned off the highway towards our destination of Beechworth the swarm got worse. Splat, splat, splat!

Finally we pulled into our motel in quiet, historic Beechworth, looking much as we remembered it, though a surprising number of buildings, even a church, were up for sale.

Back to the motel in time to watch the Doctor Who Christmas Special and another meal of Christmas leftovers.

Alex was fantastic on the trip. Much of it he spent asleep or singing along. He only complained when he was hungry, and that's fair enough.

The worst part of the trip? A few years ago we drove down to Melbourne one Boxing Day, stopping by the rest areas in the heat and while B slept I listened to the Ashes cricket. This time I switched on the radio to find Australia 6/77 then all out for 98. No way I wanted to listen to that!

Going down to Melbourne today.


Popular posts from this blog

A lazy day at the beach

It's 2am and somebody is still setting fireworks off on the beach in front of the hotel. I can't see the explosions as I have the window shuttered, but I can still hear them. I've wanted to have a lazy day and today was the closest I got. I woke up in the night from a very sad dream. Dreams follow crazy paths, but this one resolved itself as so. An entity had been causing disruption of computer systems around the world. It turned out that this entity had emerged from the computer networks and had been struggling to gain access to more computing power so that it could live. The entity had taken on the persona of a woman. The protagonist who had "defeated" the entity discovered that it was alive, spoke to it. Ultimately fell in love with her. But his prior actions would lead to its death. As a gift to her he downloaded his memories so that she could experience life even as she died. I know it sounds like a pulpy sf or technopunk plot, but dreams are about feeling

The sound of running water

We made it home from Osaka. There is a special feeling that comes when your arrive at your house after a holiday. It is utter relaxation. No longer do you need to worry about other language or customs. There is no need to look up directions, to plan out your day, to journey between sights. Then again, you now need to clean up your own mess, to make your own bed. Rather than eat out you need to cook your own dinner. The shower is weak and the toilet doesn't wash your bum. And you need to wake up early tomorrow morning in order to spend a day at work. You are back to your old routine. Looking back upon this holiday in Japan I've decided that the theme of running water has applied to each of the days. Sunday - Arrival in Osaka - washing ourselves Japanese style Monday - Matsuyama - water from the hot springs at Dogo Onsen Tuesday - Takamatsu - waterfall at Ritsuen-koen Wednesday - Tsumago - streams of water throughout the town Thursday - Takayama - the sounds of rushing water e

Insanity at 40,000 feet - Part 2

We could relax for a moment. The gate lounges at Kuala Lumpur's LCCT were crowded, but our gate was not yet open. Once it was we quickly made out way outside for the long walk to the aircraft. The terminal offered no air conditioned respite from the tropical weather outside and we were perspiring on both sides of the gate. It's a pity that taking photos on the tarmac is forbidden, because the tropical evening sun cast a beautiful orange-gold light. Our flight to Singapore was on an AirAsia A320, the workhorse of a low cost carrier. The legroom was shorter, but still adequate and the width felt greater than their longer cousin we had just flown. Alex sat at the window and was excited to see the world outside, chattering loudly. Captain Raj gave a detailed, but clear, explanation of the flight, listing runways and routes like an aircraft enthusiast. We launched into hazy grey skies that were soon dark for a very typical hour long flight to Singapore.